10.4.07

Nov/Dec 2005

For this round, I received two tapes from Anna_Karina

Creative Minds
"Cream" - Prince
Janean Garafalo's rant on Fiona Apple
"Somewhere" - Tom Waits
"Seven Nation Army" - The White Stripes
"Hail Mary" - Tupac
Chris Rock McDonald's bit 40 cents = bun + a pickle
"Down by the Water" - PJ Harvey
"Jolene" - Dolly Parton
"The Pretty Things Are Going To Hell" - David Bowie
"Venus as a Boy" (Live) - Björk
Dave Chappelle Disney bit "Take him to Mickey's tower."
"The Beautiful People" - Marilyn Manson
"The Man Comes Around" - Johnny Cash
__side two__
"Burn" - NIN
"Working Class Hero" - John Lennon
"I Put a Spell on You" - Nina Simone
"All Blues" excerpt - Miles Davis
"Funky Big Band" - Janet Jackson
George Carlin Good Ideas bit
"Body Language" - Queen
"Tired of Midnight Blue" - George Harrison
Richard Pryor camping bit
"Fascination" - Liberace
Paul Mooney bit
"Renegades of Funk" - Rage Against the Machine

-and-

Guilty Pleasures / Oddballs

"***k her Gently" - Tenacious D
"Joe Le Taxi" - Vanessa Paradis
"Good Vibration" - Marky Mark heh
"Big Mamma Thang" - Lil' Kim
"Angie Baby" - Helen Reddy
Patton Oswalt - Nick Nolte bit
"Dreams" - Faye Wong
"Welcome to My Nightmare" - Alice Cooper
Axel Rose rant
Pablo Francisco - Movie Previews bit
"Heartbeat" - Don Johnson
"Zat You, Santa Claus?" - Louis Armstrong
"Rock Me Tonight" - Billy Squire
__side two__
"Nightmare" - Whyte Boots Very nice.
"Oh Sherry" - Steve Perry
"99 Problems/Too Much" Jay-Z/Dave Matthews Band mashup
"The Wedding List" - Kate Bush Great
"Nothing My Love (Eyebrows) Can't Fix" - Joey Lawrence
"Pirate Jenny" - Donmar Warehouse Cast
"Auto-Manipulator" - Crispin Glover
"Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" - Big & Rich
Animaniacs clips
"Run Joey Run" - Kasenetz Katz
"I Can Never Go Home Anymore" - Shangri-La's
"Downtown Train" - Rod Stewart

I sent Mike Eternity two mixes. He wrote about the first:

"At last, the aforementioned derhay mix(es). First one is Your Party and Your List. Impeccable artwork, as I said, very professional-looking, with the songs chosen around the theme of party plans, so it's divided into sections.

1) Do's and Don'ts / Gomez
Where: 2) Here and There / Homunculus
How: 3) Nice and Sleazy / The Stranglers
When: 4) All Day and All of the Night / The Kinks
'Til They: 5) Shiver and Shake / The Cure

Don't Forget to Invite
6) Venus and Serena / Super Furry Animals
7) Aaron and Maria / American Analog Set
8) Mephisto and Kevin / Primus (at first I thought this song was really annoying me, until I realized it was actually love at first sight)
9) Punch and Judy / XTC
10) Johnny and Mary / Placebo

Guests are to Bring
11) Title and Registration / Death Cab for Cutie (one of my faves by them)
12) Pasties and a G-String / Tom Waits
13) Coffee and T.V. / Blur

Party Favors
14) Red Eyes and Tears / Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
15) Plastic and Whores / Hint Hint
16) Buttons and Zips / Elbow
17) Wires and Waves / Rilo Kiley

The Entertainment
18) The Donkey and the Walrus / Drums and Truba
19) Benny and the Jets / Beastie Boys ft. Biz Markie
20) The Coffee and Tea Wrecks / The Dandy Warhols
21) Electric Music and the Summer People / Beck (hee)

Don't Forget
22) Me and Jesus Don't Talk Anymore / Beulah

So delightfully clever! And backed up by genuinely good music - what a combo. For sheer craftsmanship, it puts all the mixes I've ever made to utter shame
."

-and-

"The second mix from the generous derhay initially appeared to be an original vs. covers deal, but turned out to be just shared song titles. Simply titled Juke, the first 10 tracks are kinda commonly-named (but largely well-known) songs, and the following 10 are other versions of the same name but different make-up. Since with only a couple exceptions I like most of these songs, what I'll do instead of bolding my faves is bold the version of each that I prefer.
1) Strangers / Portishead
2) I'm Not in Love / Talking Heads
3) Change / Patty Griffin
4) You Are / Built to Spill
5) This Time / INXS
6) Clocks / Coldplay (I'm sorry, I still enjoy this song)
7) Bad Reputation / Joan Jett and the Blackhearts (hardly anything competes with this perfect classic)
8) Hold Me Now / Elastica
9) Easy / The Beta Band (I do like this song, however)
10) Rock and Roll / Led Zeppelin

11) Strangers / Puressence
12) I'm Not in Love / 10cc
13) Change / Blind Melon
14) You Are / Pearl Jam
15) This Time / The Verve (no disrespect to INXS, but I really like this song)
16) Clocks / The Casual Dots
17) Bad Reputation / Thin Lizzy
18) Hold Me Now / Thompson Twins (proof of my poor taste in music that I like this cheesy '80s ballad more than one by an actual good band like Elastica)
19) Easy / Faith No More (again, a straightforward cover of Lionel Ritchie over an acclaimed Scottish indie pop group? My music snob license is going to be revoked forever)
20) Rock and Roll / Velvet Underground"

1 comment:

Martine said...

I've been looking for a sketch that I remember from more than 5 years ago. I believe it was Chris Rock - talking about being at some fast food place and only having 45 cents cash money. Not having enough for the whole meal but enough for the bun and the pickle. Is that the sketch you have on your mix tape? Any idea what show it is from and how I can better locate it? Thanks...