10.4.07

March 2007

My March mixes went out to jimcat in Scotland.

She wrote, "As promised, here are the tracklists for the two mixes sent by the wonderful derhay

The first mix is music featured in, or sounding like it ought to be featured in “The Black Donnellys” (which I haven’t seen, but am now intrigued by!)
March Donnellys

1. Beirut – Scenic World
2. Nick Drake – Horn
3. Andain – Beautiful Things
4. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club – Mercy
5. Butterfly Boucher – A Walk Outside
6. Tom Waits – Gun Street Girl
7. The Natural History – Broken Language
8. Garmarna – Euchari
9. Snow Patrol – Open Your Eyes
10. PJ Harvey – One Line
11. Clannad – A Mhuirnín Ó
12. Elbow – Any Day Now
13. The Kingsmen – Louie, Louie

14. Minus the Bear – Dog Park
15. Hem – The Burnt-Over District
16. Carbon Leaf – The Boxer
17. Ten in the Swear Jar – King Earth
18. Dropkick Murphys – I’m Shipping Up to Boston
19. The Greenhornes – Hard Times
20. The Ordinary Boys – Boys Will Be Boys
21. Donna Germano – King of the Fairies
22. Doves – Caught By the River

The second mix had a very clever theme – all the songs are the exact same length. Which might possibly correspond to derhay’s birthday, judging by the hints he dropped – Happy Birthday for a week past Sunday, derhay!
III XVIII

1. The Beach Boys – I Know There’s an Answer
2. Blondie – Pretty Baby

3. Boxcar Racers – There Is
4. Cocteau Twins – Iceblink Luck
5. The Cure – Six Different Ways
6. David Bowie – Days
7. Eels – Dog Faced Boy
8. The Fratellis – Flathead
9. Gomez – We Haven’t Turned Around (X-Ray Mix)
10. PJ Harvey – Dress
11. INXS – Mystify
12. Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum & Durr – You’re All I Need to Make It
13. The Melodians – It’s My Delight
14. Mulatu Astatke – Yègellé Tezeta (My Own Memory)
15. Laura Pausini – Mi Rubi l’Anima
16. P.M. Dawn – Amnesia
17. Rilo Kiley – Wires and Waves
18. The Rolling Stones – Obsession
19. The Skatalites – Herb Man Dub
20. The Staple Singers – I’ll Take You There
21. The Sundays – Another Flavour
22. Tones on Tail – War
23. Van Morrison – The Way Young Lovers Do
24. XTC – Fly on the Wall


Both mixes made a very good soundtrack to my weekend of Ikea furniture building and front room rearranging, but that also meant that I haven’t given them my full attention yet. The tracks I’ve bolded were the ones that really stood out on first listen, but I expect I’d bold more after a more relaxing 2nd go! Thanks again, derhay!

(And BTW, your surname is my mum’s maiden name. We’re practically family!)"

I was very happy to know I didn't offend her Scots sensibilities with a pseudo-Celt mix.

______________________cut along here

I received my March mix from baggylettuce

Sophisticated Boom Boom
"Songs with finger-clicks, hand-claps and hip wiggling. And songs without any of that stuff as well, just because. There are two Momus tracks on there which is sort of cheating for a mix."

1. The Bird and the Bee - "Because"
2. The Shangri-Las - "Sophisticated Boom Boom"
3. The Puppini Sisters - "Wuthering Heights"
4. Momus - "Vogue Bambini"
5. Take That - "Shine"
6. Eartha Kitt - "Somebody Bad Stole de Wedding Bell"
7. The Andrew Sisters - "Beat Me Daddy, Eight to the Bar"
8. Sugarbabes - "Overload"
9. Spice Girls - The Lady is a Vamp"
10. Momus - "I Am a Kitten" Great lyrics. Gold star.
11. Pulp - "Stacks"
12. Rihanna - "Pon De Replay"
13. Kenickie - "Come Out 2Nite"
14. Robbie Williams - "Rudebox" "Ok, then back to baseheads. Dance like you just won at the special Olympics" :)

This is actually the second mix that she had to send me. The first mix was lost. I like to think that it is somewhere with Wilson and Hanks and that I will be reunited with it for the first time at some time. Thanks for this awesome mix!

No comments: